Subscribe for Full Access
Community Helpers Theme Word List
Community Helpers Theme Words - Suggestions for Use
- Use the words for examples of phonics
- Match with Phonics Printables
- Manager, Dancer, Baker, Butcher, Hairdresser, Builder, Soldier, Writer, Cleaner, Owner, Plumber, Teacher, Firefighter, Officer, Waiter, Farmer, Driver
- Sailor, Doctor, Actor
- Also interesting to look at different endings...especially for older children, also relates to above 'er' and 'or'
- Florist, Scientist, Dentist
- Electrician, Musician, Technician, Librarian
- Sort these words into 5 categories 'er', 'or', 'ist', 'ian' and 'other'.
- There are many more community helpers and occupations, brainstorm more as a class or in groups and pop them in the correct category above. Extra blank cards are available with the above download. They can be printed out and extra words can be written on to add to this theme group.
- There are heaps of phonics opportunities with these words....play around with them - what patterns can the children find, circle the patterns, colour them in - make it fun. Print off small size black and white copies to do this - see below.
- You can make these words smaller size by using the reduction settings on your printer and just printing off black and white copies, these smaller sizes are great for cut and paste activities such as cutting out the words and pasting them in alphabetical order, or into the categories as mentioned above.
- Use these smaller words to 'make sentences' - older children could make up sentences by gluing these smaller words into their books and writing in any extra words needed - kiddies love doing this....draw a picture to go with the sentence....
- Use these words (either smaller words for gluing, or as a reference for their own writing) with the concept book - 'Community Helpers'.
- Print out the bright full copies, glue them onto colourful backing card - laminate and make an Our Community wall display. These are then ready for children to refer to during writing sessions.
- When not being used on a wall display, place them in labelled boxes, or hanging pockets for continued use and reference.
- Make an Our Community Alphabet Book using the template from Printable Alphabet Book - children place a Community Helper word on each alphabet page. (Don't forget to do a large A3 size whole class one and pop it in the class library also)
- All the activities from '101 Ways to Use Word Cards' are fantastic with theme words..(DON'T FORGET TO UTILIZE THIS FANTASTIC RESOURCE)
- Make a jigsaw puzzle. Make up a second set of cards, cut the picture section off using a zigzag or curve cut like a jigsaw (you can even cut through the word to make it more of a challenge) Children then match the 2 pieces.
- Ask parents to come in and talk about their occupation.